Thursday, March 28, 2013

Ava's Science Fair

It has been so fun having a school aged child. I'm feeling even more excited for next year when I won't be pregnant and can get into the PTA and really be a part of things. It seemed a little crazy at first, but now I'm glad, that Ava was required as a Kindergartner, to participate in the school Science Fair. In addition to that, she had to give an oral presentation to her class, which I thought was nuts!! Now, I'm glad they start these skills at a young age. It's shocking how many people have a pathological inability to speak in public. I don't want that for Ava. Anyhow, they didn't have to do a real experiment in the K classes. They had to do a collection of some kind then sort that collection into at least 2 sub-groups. I had a bag full of miscellaneous buttons so Ava chose to sort those. The teacher was very specific that we were only to help them. Everything should be their decision and should be in their handwriting etc. I'll admit, it was a little difficult to let Ava do it all herself. The crafter in me wanted to jump in and do all sorts of things, but I restrained myself. She chose to sort them by color and number of button holes. And her presentation went like this. Hi, my name is Ava Baum. I chose to collect buttons. The title of my project is Button, Button, who's Got A Button? I collected buttons because I like how they are all different colors and are pretty. I sorted my buttons by color & number of button holes. The colors were red, orange, yellow, green, blue, multi colored, and white. The number of button holes were 1,2 & 4. Thank you. Are there any questions? Then she got to call on 3 friends who asked questions. It was so dang cute. I didn't get to go see the real thing at school. The teacher asked that the parents not attend that. But we practiced at home. She did great! I was so proud. Then tonight was the actual science fair. We went and saw her project displayed in the gym with all the other students at the school and she even got a medal. She also got a judge's card and a certificate with a picture of her with her project on the day she did her presentation. Here she is with her project. You like the neon pink board that hurts your eyes just looking at it? She made the decision, not me! ;-) She was so excited about her medal! It was so cute. I just can't believe she's old enough to be participating in this sort of stuff. I was just thinking the other day about how we used to read certain board books to her every night before bed, when she was a baby. Well, my baby is growing up!

2 comments:

Rachael said...

She is looking so grown up! I can't believe it's been a year since Noah did that science fair. Time flies. Good luck with your new babe in a few days!!

leighmichellec said...

adorable!