I have a lot to be thankful for. I really do. I know I would be a lot more thankful if I had a houseful of healthy kids. Luckily my Parker boy is still relatively healthy- (knock on wood).
Maybe some of you out there can help me out or let me know if this is normal. Ava has been acting really weird for the last 2 months. I can't figure out what's causing it though. She's become super clingy, hypersensitive, complains of being hot and cold ALL the time. She wakes up at least 2 times every night and cries at EVERYTHING! I'm a little bit at my wits end with her. I've talked to her teachers to see if there is going on there. Nothing. I've asked her if there is anyone being mean to her or hurting her or her feelings. Nothing. I've asked her if her body hurts anywhere. Nothing. So I really don't know what's wrong with her. I took her to the pediatrician to just have her blood checked out and see if her electrolytes and everything were ok. The Dr. listened to her breathing and told me she has walking pneumonia. Where on earth does a 4 year old get walking pneumonia?! The Dr. suggested waiting 2 weeks until she's over that before we check her blood. But any of you with 4 almost 5 year olds, is this normal? Has this happened to your kids?
So, Colson has had a lingering cough that sounded similar to Ava's, accompanied by some slightly labored breathing. I thought it was just a cold and whenever he gets a cold he gets a little wheezy with his asthma. I took him in to make sure he didn't have pneumonia too. Turns out he had an ear infection that couldn't resolve because his asthma had flared up. Crazy thing is, the asthma couldn't resolve because he had an ear infection. Apparently its a vicious circle.
In both situations, I felt really bad about not taking them in sooner to have them checked out. Mother of the Year 2012 award is out for me already and it's only February!
Sunday, February 26, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Don't feel too badly about waiting to take them to the Dr. It's expensive and we don't want to be the type of parents who rush them in for nothing! Dietrich broke his arm and I waited two days before taking him in...then he broke his leg, I was a little quicker with that one but still made him try to walk on it multiple times to show me he really couldn't before I would take him in. It's especially hard when they can't tell you what is wrong. The good news is, you did take them both in when things didn't resolve on there own and hopefully they will be healthy and back to their old selves again soon!
When you get her blood checked, check for thyroid indicators. The most common cause of sensitivity to hot and cold (outside of passing illness) are Hyperthyroidism, Hypothyroidism, and Graves Disease. I'm not trying to alarm you, but just giving you an idea of what could cause some of those symptoms. In particular, they also cause behavioral problems in children. I have Hypothyroidism so I understand the sensitivity to hot and cold when untreated. When your thyroid is out of whack, so are the rest of your hormones.
Of course she could just be a kid, being a kid. Aviendha is going through her 5 year old "afraid of the dark" phase right now and melting down over silly things. I hope you figure everything out!
You are an amazing mother! It's hard to tell when and if things are serious. I'm the one that always takes them in for everything and most the time it's nothing and then I look ridiculous!
Well Mar and Zayda both had bronchial pneumonia... Zayda's has lingered for a long time.
As far as here waking up in the middle of the night crying, Ayla did that for awhile. It was something as simple as a little change... also I was talking to a friend of mine (nutritionist/dietition) she also said to try and take dairy out of her diet strictly for 2 weeks and see if it helps, sometime in younger kids they have a reaction and can't really tell what is going on, but it is just uncomfortable for them (This is what we are doing for ayla right now)
Post a Comment