The day finally arrived and he is here!! Holy cow, what a long couple of months. Pre-Eclampsia is a beast. I have never been so swollen in my life. There is proof below. My blood pressure wasn't super stable at the end, so my doctor thought it would be best to deliver him at 37 weeks instead of 39. I received the steroid shots at 33 weeks to help speed along his lung development so we wouldn't have any breathing issues.

Yikes I'm huge! Morning of surgery!!
I didn't end up having the anesthesiologist I wanted, but things went pretty much the way I wanted. I refused morphine in my spinal block so I wouldn't itch for the rest of the day. I didn't let him talk me into it this time either. My nurse told him emphatically that I didn't want it too. His response to her was, "ok, but she's going to be in a lot of pain." Psshhh!!! He did a pretty good job with my spinal though. Only hit a nerve 3 or 4 times making my leg jump. Daniel was in there while I got my spinal too. Other than that, he didn't really talk to me much.
Dr.Campbell and Dr.Trinh delivered him. Dr. Trinh delivered Parker and Colson as well. It was a fairly nice procedure. I talked to them throughout the surgery. About their kids and our kids. I told them they could give me a little tummy tuck while they were working down there, but they must not have heard me.
Sawyer's shoulder was a little stuck, so Dr. Trinh was working pretty hard to get it out. I told her to go ahead an climb on up, it was ok. She got a good laugh out of it.
They lowered the sheet and voila!! There he was a cute, cheesy, little boy!

And then they brought him to me. They started a new thing called 'Family Centered C-Section'. They let him stay with me the entire time instead of whisking him away to the nursery. It was really nice. Usually I'm left on my own in surgery while Daniel goes with the baby to the nursery. So I was really happy. That was until (and this is totally just suspicion on my part, but I'm almost 100% positive it happened) the anesthesiologist give me something through my iv for 'the pain' I was in for, that made me SO tired. I could hardly keep my eyes open. It was so frustrating. It's never happened to me before either. And I usually take really cute first pictures in surgery, but every single one we took, I look atrocious in because I can hardly keep my eyes open. The doctors were all surprised at how big he was for 37 weeks. 7 pounds 10 ounces and 20 inches long. He was bigger than Ava was at 39.5 weeks. If we'd gone that long, he would have been a 9 pound baby. Can you see how swollen my fingers are?! Oi!!

Then instead of taking you to the recovery room for an hour, they took me and the baby to my room and recovered me there with Daniel and my Mom. It was a really nice change from the usual experience.

When I was finally lucid enough to qualify as 'awake', my Mom brought the kids over. It was so sweet. Ava just kept looking at him and smiling.

Colson was really possessive of him. I didn't think he'd want to hold him at all, but he kept saying 'baby' over and over and pulling at Daniel's leg until he let him hold him again. He gave him kisses and was really soft with him. It really was sweet. When we tried to take Sawyer from him he would squeeze him and say "NO, My Baby!"

Parker was by far, the most excited about having a new baby in our house. He has been talking about it and praying about it for months. Unfortunately he came down with a little cold just before we delivered. I had got this little doctor toy set at a church trading table. When they showed up at the hospital, Parker had the toy doctor mask on. My mom said he grabbed it and put it on saying he needed to wear it so the baby didn't get his cough. And he wore it in the car all the way to the hospital and the whole time he was there. He kept saying, "aw, he's so adorable!" It really was adorable. Ever since then, he's just been the sweetest big brother to Sawyer. I love it.

Here are the big kids with their Big Brother/Sister shirts on. I made them with my silhouette. They got them in their Easter baskets and really loved them.
Overall, Sawyer's birth was great. I had fantastic nurses and even got 2 massages while I was there. It was amazing. Daniel and I got to have a special dinner for 2 in the hospital as well. It was seriously good. I had prawns and Daniel had salmon. You really can't beat Pullman Regional when it comes to the Birth Center. They are truly amazing.
While Sawyer's birth was great, my home recovery left something to be desired. I got home on a Thursday and felt pretty good. My blood pressure wasn't cooperating and by Friday I was back on meds to get it under control. By Monday I felt like a train wreck. My pressure was sky rocketing and I felt horrendous. The doctor made Daniel take me to the ER because my BP was so high. Joy of joys, I had mastitis. Already. Again, Pullman Regional can't be beat. They gave me a monster dose of antibiotics, pain meds for the awful headache I couldn't shake and sent me back home. After 4 days of antibiotics and meds to help some of the water I'm still retaining come off, I feel SO SO SO much better. It's amazing what some drugs can do. It would have been 100 times harder if my amazing husband and mother weren't by my side the whole way. I'm so lucky, my mom got to stay for 2 weeks. My house is clean, she's done more laundry in 2 weeks then I've done in 3 months. And she has somehow coaxed some major behavior improvements out of my kids. Yay for Grandma!!
My husband has been amazing through this entire experience. He's been so good to me during this pregnancy. He has insisted on my 'resting'. He took over the cooking and cleaning in the house too. If he was home, I had to be sitting and resting. On top of all that he was getting ready to defend his thesis. Which he did 3 days after Sawyer was born and passed. I love him more then I can say. Above all else, my birth experience has made me so thankful for my beautiful little family. I feel like we were incomplete without Sawyer. Now our family is whole, and I love each part of it so much.
8 comments:
He is suha cutie! Hope I can see him soon. Glad yo are al doing well and you are feeling better!
Sawyer is so sweet. I am glad you are doing better. I love their new family c-section deal. It was amazing for me emotionally.
I am so happy for you and your cute family! He really is a sweetheart and he came to a pretty great home:) So glad you are feeling better!! Enjoy that darling little boy!
What a handsome boy!!! Congrats Erin! You guys sure now how to make cute kids :)
Love the birth photos they are amazing. Who took them? I'm so sorry you have had such a rough start, hope it is uphill from here.
Such a beautiful baby boy! You are a champ Ms. Baum!
That is SO nice that you got a family centered c-section. I totally wanted one but they shrugged me off. That is so amazing. He is so sweet. I'm sorry about your swelling. That is the WORST! He is darling and perfect.
1- that is crazy he was already 7lb 10oz at 37 weeks!
2- my nose itched SO bad from the morphine. I can't believe the anesthesiologist was so awful. hello, this wasn't your first time around! he should have listened to you.
3- I was sad about having Michaela in Jackson because Pullman Regional really is awesome. Jackson was really nice too, but no Pullman Regional!
4- Sawyer is absolutely adorable and I love his name.
Post a Comment