Thursday, May 7, 2009

Mother's



Ok, so lately, I've been having a difficult time with my identity as a mother. Not that I'm not happy as a mother, just that it feels like as a mom, you take care of everyone and no one takes care of you. Now that probably sounds really selfish, but I'm just laying it all out there. I have kind of felt like I've lost myself, as I've lost myself in motherhood. So as I have been thinking about this the last few days, I picked up this book called I am A Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson. And I read something that I really liked-

"Satan has declared war on motherhood. He knows that those who rock the cradle have the power to rock his earthly empire. And he knows that without righteous mothers loving and leading the next generation, the kingdom of God will fail."
It also said: "For all too often I think mothers--women in general, really--tend to forget their great worth. We become discouraged or guilt ridden or just plain exhausted and don't realize that what we do every day has enormous impact and implication."

So as I read this I thought about the enormous task at hand, and miraculously enough, I'm excited about it! I'm still stressed out, but I'm excited about helping my kids make good choices and become good people.

I also thought about all the mothers out there that have touched my life. My own Mother, my Mother in law, my sisters, my friends, my grandmothers; they all have affected my life and made me the person I am. So here's a big thank you to all the mothers out there! Happy Mother's Day!!

4 comments:

Kirsten said...

I agree, it can be really hard being a Mom and finding "you time". Especially with two kids. I'm still struggling with it at times. And even so, I totally agree with you, I love my children so much too and I'm so glad we have them.

Do you own that book or did you get it at the library? Would you mind if I borrowed it sometime?

Brooke said...

I love this post. I've heard so many good things about that book, I need to pick it up. I feel like I need constant reminders about the value of what I'm doing as a mom. No matter how far I feel like I've come grounding myself in the value of my role, I still have days when all of that is forgotten and I think, "what is it all for??" Thanks for sharing.

The Dilg Clan said...

Oh Erin, my dear friend! I hear you! I may want to borrow that book!! You are a fantastic mom, just remember that! I love yoU!!

Katie said...

I have been feeling the same way...like my only value in life is related to my ability as a maid/toilet cleaner/child care/clean up after people... I got assigned to speak on Mother's Day, and the talk they gave me to speak on helped me find a little perspective for myself. It's called "A Woman of Faith" by Margaret Nadauld. It is great. Look it up on the church's website and read it! I was particularly touched when she talked about how the Lord recognizes all of our sacrifices, even though they may be small ones. We all need a little reminding of our divine role once in a while!