Daniel is due to graduate next May and we are torn as to what to do. We have 2 options really. We can seriously pursue his career when he finishes, or we can go on to a Master's degree. The masters degree would take an additional 2 years to finish. But having a masters in structural engineering on top of his BS in landscape architecture would really give him more versatility and an edge over everyone else in his field. Also, here at WSU almost all of the masters degree students recieve TA positions, and that means you get your tuition waived and you get a paid job as a TA and you recieve a living stipend. But starting his career has it's appeal too. It would be really nice to make money instead of spend it. We'd like to get a house and do all that grown up stuff. We're getting a little tired of apartment living. I know Daniel would like to be done with the whole school thing too, but he realizes that the economy isn't what it should be right now and a masters might be a better plan, but it sure is tough choice. Although, I do really like it here in Pullman, so I'd be content to live here forever. So 2 more years doesn't really seem that long. Anyhow, enough of my rambling.
I know it seems really premature to be planning all this, but applications to the masters program are due pretty quick. So we're trying to hammer out the details.
Wednesday, June 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Just my two sense. A mother of 3 with her husband attending school is rather difficult. I would say that if Daniel eventually wants to get his Masters then go for it now while your kids are still young and won't really remember their dad being gone. Spencer is gone so much with work and school that I wonder if EmmaLee even remembers him! I wish I would have really pushed him through while our kids were still pretty young, because it has just gotten harder on the kids and for him to be away from them.
Good luck with your decision...it is a hard one. And all this "adult" stuff...buying a house and what not...while it is fun and totally worth it...don't rush it. Tons of money and tons of work!
I agree with TyLeen, if you want the masters, get it now. Those things which they have for the Masters students are great (the tuition waiver, the paid TA job, etc.). I think it's a great set-up!
I agree with the rest of them, you are there, you are accustomed to the set up and your kids are young. Two years goes by way fast and then it is on to real life. Plus, you love Pullman so it isn't like its going to be torture for you to be there. Good luck!
Amen to all the above. Do it now! But...pray about it, of course :)
You probably won't remember me, this is Katy Ross (we were in the Pullman ward together - I clicked over from Kirsten's blog).
Anyway. My husband graduated from WSU with his Master's in Structural Engineering last year. If Daniel wants to talk to someone who's done it, you're (or he's) welcome to email him (Loren): cadair360ATyahooDOTcom
Post a Comment