So at a friends suggestion, I read Dr. Laura's In Praise of Stay at Home Moms. I have to say I really enjoyed the book. In fact after reading it, I feel like I have a better attitude too. Not that I ever disliked being a stay at home mom, I just have my days as I'm sure we all do.Anyhow, I've already shared this with a few of my friends, but as I was thinking about motherhood and my beautiful children, I thought about my life before kids. I thought about high school and actually read in my journal from those days and how dramatic it all seemed. Everything felt like the end of the world, whether it was a friend lost, or boy trouble or whatever. At the time, it seemed like this HUGE ordeal. Now that I have kids, it all seems so ridiculous. Like none of it matters, all that matters are my kids and my husband. Although I realize those experiences are what made me who I am today, they just don't matter anymore.
I guess what I'm trying to say- to sum it all up is that I really thought I knew who I was before I had kids. I knew myself pretty well, or so I thought. But until I had kids, I never realized what or who I could be. I had no idea the capacity to love to such a degree, was in me. Not that I'm saying I'm this great fantastic mother, but I feel like I have more potential to aspire too and I'm trying to meet it. And I didn't know I had that potential until I had kids. I didn't know I could love watching my baby sleep without getting bored. I didn't know I could see the humor in my 2 year old drawing on the walls. They are so beautiful and I love them so much.
Sorry if this is corny, but it's just what has been on my mind lately. I recommend the book to you all!


3 comments:
That's cool, I hadn't heard of that book. I'll have to look in to it.
Erin, you are a great mom. Your kids are lucky to have you!
This is a great post! I hope you don't stop writing things like this. As President Huber says, time make the extraordinary seem ordinary. Now you can feel that extraordinary feeling over again as you read it! I think I might have to read that book too!
Post a Comment