So here is our garden so far. It was a lot of work to start out because the dirt here is full of clay. The complex could start a good business selling clay to art retailers. So we bought 12 bags of poop and Daniel tilled it into the dirt.
We planted :strawberries, tomatoes, peppers, spinach, onions, peas, sage, thyme, oregano, rosemary
We put down some fertilizer that made our spinach grow like a weed. This picture was taken after we harvested it, but it looked amazing.
In an effort to deter birds and rabbits from eating our plants, I put a few pin wheels in the garden to scare them off. I thought this would work, we used to tie reflective tags in our fruit trees and it did the trick.
Apparently killdeer birds are not frightened by the pin wheels. As you can see one has built its nest in my garden 6 inches from my strawberries. Every time I get a strawberry thats almost ripe, the mama bird eats it. She also wigs out every time we get near the garden, but what can you do?!
Our sugar snap peas are doing awesome too. The are a cooler weather crop and it's been pretty cold here, so they have done really well. I've seen a few pea pods already.
This is the bowl of spinach we harvested for ourselves. We gave another heaping bowlful to our neighbors. I knew we wouldn't be able to eat it all. Everyone thought the spinach wouldn't do very well because it's definately a cold weather crop, but like I said, it's been pretty cold here and we fertilized so it looks amazing. It's starting to warm up now, but Daniel thinks we'll still get one more good harvest out of it.
I'm so glad I'm married to a guy who knows what he's doing with plants. It would have been a huge waste of time and money if we didn't know what we were doing. He keeps pulling the flowers off the tomatoes and peppers, and I keep thinking we need to leave them on if we ever want any fruit. But, he knows best. He's been pulling them off so the plant will put more energy into getting stronger branches and leaf out more so it could support the fruit later on.


3 comments:
Oh I'm so jealous!! We don't have our garden in. We had to make ours and we got as far as making the planter boxes and filling them half full with manure!! And there they sit. It may just have to sit until next year, cause I'm not sure we'd get anything out of it. But we do have a tomato plant in our garbage can garden!!
Way to go for the garden plot idea!!
It looks BEAUTIFUL!! Don't you love it and get excited when the produce comes?!
That is so great that they let you guys put a garden in! I know the last year we were in pullman we paid for a garden plot at the community garden in town. It was nice, but a pain since we had to drive there to take care of it.
I'm happy that we have space on our deck and stairs for plants, but i can't wait to have a REAL garden plot someday....
But your garden is looking amazing! Awesome job!
(and yes, if you pinch off the blossoms the plant will grow bigger and stronger and then put out more blossoms)
Post a Comment