Thursday, May 3, 2012

Parker-Boy: Lessons in Progress

Lately I've noticed how easily frustrated I get with my kids. In particular, Parker. I've been feeling so worn out by the end of each day and it was starting to take its toll. I felt like Parker was so misbehaved ALL the time. I had to constantly remind myself that he's only 3- CALM DOWN. I was always yelling. I wasn't really sure what to do. I decided that if I couldn't change Parker's behavior, I could change mine. I decided I wouldn't yell. I would try to say yes whenever possible. When he throws a fit, I decided to wait patiently until he was done. I decided to give him more choices. If he chose something wrong, I would tell him that his choice really made me sad and that it made me really sad that he had to have a consequence. And I praised his good decisions. And this amazing thing happened. Well a few happened really. 1st, I was no longer SO frustrated. I wasn't completely exhausted at the end of the day. I wasn't as cranky, and had more fun. And then Parker started changing as well! At first I didn't notice it. I was so preoccupied with my behavior, I didn't notice it until we had a potty training breakthrough. All of a sudden, he started telling me he had to go potty, and started going #2 in it as well! I was so excited! Then realized he had been behaving TONS better overall. He listens, makes better choices, and is really affectionate with me. I LOVE IT!! I learned an important lesson. Every child is different, and has different needs and different ways of learning. What worked for Ava doesn't work for Parker. He needs constant positive reinforcement and choices. He also responds to moods in a way Ava never did. My constant frustration made him frustrated and on edge as well. He was just as frustrated as I was. It's been a really cool process actually.
I am really grateful for Parker. He has taught me so much and is SO sweet. He is always telling me he loves me and wanting to sit with me. He's so cute and really is wonderful. I love you Parker boy!

2 comments:

Rachael said...

Our kids are totally different as well. I always have to remind myself that the kids are only kids, just little and I can't treat them like adults.

Melissa said...

Thanks for sharing, Erin. I hope that I will be able to be as great a mom as you are.