Thursday, August 20, 2009

School

School starts for Daniel this coming Monday. I'm a little nervous and excited for him to be starting this school year. This is mainly because this is his senior year. I've never felt this nervous before, but I've always known what next year is going to bring. It's always been more school. But now, it's unsure.

After a lot of thought and prayer, Daniel has decided not to continue for his masters degree. The problem is that it would take him 3 years to do a 1 year masters in civil engineering because he doesn't have the engineering background. He thought about doing a landscape architecture masters but the problem there is, WSU has made major budget cuts so now the LA program only has 1 teaching assistantship available. And the chances of Daniel getting the assistantship all 4 semesters is pretty slim. So we'd end up having to take out $32,000 or so in loans, just for tuition. So, we'd rather not rack up that much debt right now.

So our plan is this. Daniel is going to find a job, hopefully somewhere. That's what makes me nervous, not knowing where we're going to be. But I have faith that we will be going wherever Heavenly Father wants us. So far, the Army Corp of Engineers looks pretty promising. The division in Seattle has already talked with Daniel and requested his transcripts and resume. So we'll keep our fingers crossed.

If I'm being totally honest though, I really really don't want to move to Western Washington. I lived there for 13 years growing up and just don't want to live there again. But, I will go wherever Daniel get's a job and try to be happy about it. I will just be grateful for a job that makes money.

So- Good luck to Daniel this year! I'm sure he'll do great!

ps- Go Cougs!!

4 comments:

Rachael said...

It'll all turn out great. You should probably stick around here for a while because we'll miss you when you go. PS Go Cougs!

Anonymous said...

So wow! This is big news...I'm excited for you guys. That means this is your last year as students. Yippee!!! I'm totally ready for that. I'm sure Daniel will find a good job. I really hope you stay close though. Loves.

Stephanie B said...

Good luck, Daniel. I'm kind of hoping for Western WA - but those are just my own selfish reasons.

Brian said...

I'm so excited for you! It's tough, but at least you have a better understanding of what you want, right? Maybe Daniel should watch more Bob Ross and become a world famous painter. That way you could live here and I'll know someone FAMOUS!! :)