Is there a medical term for fear of throwing up? There should be if there isn't. And if there is, that's me. I'm scared to death of it, I don't know why- I just am. I'm a huge wimp when it comes to feeling nauseous as my husband will tell you. But, I have managed to go through 2 1/2 pregnancies without doing it. So far with this pregnancy, my record isn't tarnished. But I came super close yesterday.
I'm pretty sure we caught the stomach flu from someone we know. Parker got it on Sunday, but he only threw up once and has been fine ever since. Daniel felt pretty crumby on Sunday too. I felt pretty good until Monday morning when it all set in. You know, all the crappy stuff that happens when you are sick. But later in the evening, I started getting the worst back pain and abdominal pain. I talked to my sister Sarah who is a nurse. (what would I do without a nurse in the family to ask all my medical questions? I love you Sarah!) She said she always gets kidney infections when she is pregnant and the back pain is a symptom. So she suggested I call my on call dr. So I did, and they sent me to the ER.
A big thanks to Danielle for listening for our kids. Yay for baby monitors that reach that far! They had just gone to bed, but I think Ava heard us shut and lock the door because I saw her peeking out her window at us.
Anyhow, 2 different nurses attempted to start an IV on me. I was so dehydrated they had a really hard time doing it. They finally got one started on the inside of my wrist. I have a bruise about 3 1/2 inches long from this IV. I also have what looks like a hickey on my arm from the tourniquet- classy I know;-) They gave me zofran for the nausea and tylenol for the back and abdominal pain. I love the man who invented zofran. What a life saver! They checked the baby and everything seems to be fine, but I have to follow up with an ultrasound today. After all the labs were done, they said there was no kidney infection- Yay! But that they thought the back pain was coming from the severe dehydration. My muscles weren't happy with the lack of water.
So my overall eval of the experience, it sucked. But I would go again just for the zofran!
Tuesday, May 4, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
One of the worst parts of having Max was the huge bruise on my arm from having trouble with my IV. I am glad you are feeling better. So sorry you guys are sick!
They make Zofran in a pill form you know!!! They disintegrate in your mouth. I've heard it works great that way too!!
yes there is a name for it...it's Emetophobia. there is a phobia for everything, like walking down stairs and talking. crazy right?
Kidney pain is one of the WORST pains ever. My kidney pain was worse than labor, seriously. And i was induced with Cytotec (the HELL drug) and had contractions ever 1-5 minutes for 18 hours before getting the epidural...yeah, my kidney pain was worse than that! I hope everything goes fine this time and it doesn't happen again!
Post a Comment