Wednesday, August 7, 2013

My Birthday Present

So today is my birthday.  My amazing husband took me out on the town last Saturday to celebrate.  We had dinner and talked and had a great time.  I'm glad we did because I've been kind of sick the last 2 days.  Sick on my birthday, how's that for luck?  He made me a delicious chocolate cake too.  (Thanks Steph for the recipe!)  But otherwise, it was pretty low key today, which is how I wanted it since I didn't feel good.

After the dinner and cake it was time for pj's and bed.  Then my kids gave me a great present.  I thought I'd share.  We were reading the scriptures before bed, talking about Enos and how he prayed day and night and Heavenly Father forgave his sins.  This opened up a bunch of questions with them about the Holy Spirit does.  We talked about how it can comfort you, help you make good choices, and warn you.  We talked about how you have to make good choices so you can hear him, and how he whispers and how you can mainly feel it in your heart.

I loved it.  Every minute of it.  Ava and Parker were both talking about times they've felt the spirit.  Ava said that sometimes she feels like she shouldn't play with the big kids at school because she doesn't know them.  But that a grown up at school helped her in class to write her name on her pencil box and she felt all right with that.  Parker talked about how when Colson gets hurt he feels like he should help him feel better.  I told him that was the Holy Spirit helping him do what is right. 

This conversation led to other questions.  I'm not sure how, but dieing and going back to heaven was up next.  We talked about Grandma and Grandpa Garner and how we'll get to see them again when we go back to heaven.  My tender hearted little Parker boy, said "what about my great great grandma Baum?"  and he started to cry.  I told him we'd be able to see her again too.  That she was happy to be in heaven.  He asked when he would die, and I told him not for a long long time.  Then I showed him the wedding picture of me and Daniel at the temple and explained that we had been married forever in the temple.  So no matter when we die, we'll always be a family, even in heaven.  He asked when he would get to see me in heaven.  I told him not for a long time, but that after I died, I would miss him till he came to be with me in Heaven.  Parker said, "I've been making good choices already." 

It was just a sweet experience.  A wonderful birthday present, to see my children make the connection between their feelings and the Spirit.  And to see their hearts touched by the Spirit.  I hope it means we're doing something right.  Anyhow, I'm grateful for the gift.

5 comments:

leighmichellec said...

i love those in-depth conversations with kids! I am glad you had a good birthday. miss you friend!

Kate Clayton said...

Those sweet kids of yours are definitely keepers! Sorry you were sick on your birthday! Love you girl!

Rachael said...

Total bummer to be sick on your b-day but what a sweet experience.

Unknown said...

I love it! You are for sure doing something right. You have four amazing kids! Love you guys!

Marie said...

Happy Birthday Erin! I loved everything about that experience. Kids are amazing and you are definitely doing something right:)