Monday, August 26, 2013

New Places and moving

Moving is a stressful thing.  On top of that, I had a 6 week old baby.  Leaving my friends, my home of 27 years, the comfort of a small town with rolling wheat fields all around me was, rough to say the least.  Ok, to be completely honest-  it sucked.  It sucked BAD.

Forget the headache of packing up and unloading a truck.  Add to that the inevitable chore of trying to make new friends and adjust to being away from everything familiar.  And you've got a real challenge. 

I've found myself in an interesting stage of life.  I realize now that I don't necessarily miss Washington.  I miss the college stage that we were in for so long.  We were students for the entirety of our marriage and I just didn't know any different. 

Now that we are graduated and moved on, I find that we are now in a stage where we aren't making close friends anymore.  We have neighbors.  I miss the close friendships we had in Pullman. 

We've entered a new stage where we have 'neighbors' not close friends.  And we can't necessarily pick those!  We have nice enough neighbors here but I'm itching for a good girls night and crafts.  People around here don't seem super interested in doing things like that.

Luckily, in the land of Utah, there are lots of things to do and a couple of close friends that we made during those college years, nearby.

Now all my friends, full of wisdom and light, tell me- is this normal?  Is it just me?  Am I just not trying hard enough?  This is not a cry for pity, I truly am wondering if this is normal.

Luckily, there are some pretty convincing arguments in favor of graduating from college.  The obvious perks such as no more apartment living, a fenced backyard and a swing set help ease the transition but I really am curious how things are supposed to go now. 

I'm not unhappy.  I'm actually pleasantly surprised at how much I do like it here.  My husband is happy in his job, my kids are happy in school and I'm happy not to be cramped up in a tiny apartment.


7 comments:

Rachael said...

I'd say it took me close to a year just to adjust to Utah, the big move, making some friends, and living in a house. Then we'll do it all over again in another year. It does make me more grateful for the friends I made in Pullman.

Melissa said...

I always feel strange when I move to a new place. I wonder if this is ever going to feel 'right'. Give it some time. With your friendly personality, you will make some new close friends again. It will be different, but girls' night will happen again. Love you!

miriam said...

I don't feel like I had any really close relationships when I was in Pullman, but I did have friends. Moving to Wyoming, it took about a year for me, like it did for Rachael. I have found that basically everyone has their own schedule and there isn't time for playgroups and things. People are busy with their own settled families. Even though I'm actually pretty happy living out in a teeny tiny Wyoming town, I just don't feel like I fit in (which might be a good thing, ha!) But it's definitely not you! You were the first person to say hi to me when we started attending PU2. Life after college is just... different.

Kate Clayton said...

I hear ya. I think I've mentioned the neighbors, not close friends, to you too. It's just weird. I really like my neighbors but we don't hang out. Thankfully, I have you :)

Carrie said...

Yep, about a year...that's what I've told myself three times:)! I'm so glad you are liking it there, I was just wondering that the other day. Next time we come up I WILL be coming to visit!! I do miss a good girls' night. And it will definitely happen for ya again. I'm pretty sure we're all wondering what normal is right now:)

leighmichellec said...

I know exactly how you feel! -except we are still in an apartment, temporarily. It will get easier :) (I hope!)

Unknown said...

Well I for one am glad that you moved here, and where you are. I have so enjoyed getting to know you again and your cute kids! I'm up for crafting ANYTIME! :D