Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Life On The Farm

So life on the farm moves at full speed.  Everything has happened so fast.
Now that we have 1.5 acres of land, we have to care for 1.5 acres of land.

When we moved in, the thistle in the pasture was as tall as Daniel.  Our neighbors, recommended goats to help with that.  We couldn't get rid of them with the lawn mower.  So we picked up 2 goats, we named them Mike and Willow.  Mike is the half brown half white one.  We named him after our amazing friend and veterinarian, Mike Clayton.  He came over the day we got them and looked at the pasture.  He said, " you need some goats."  So we named one in his honor.  


 Our little pekin duck, Doodles has grown up.  Turns out she is a he.  He seems to think he is a chicken.  Since he was raised with a few other chicks, he runs around with them.  The 3 of them run around and everything.  Doodles even sleeps in the coop with them.


 We have also acquired 2 turkey's.  They have lovingly been named, Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Although, their names are actually Daisy and Tom. 


We have also acquired a barn cat.  With the coming winter, and the amount of pasture we have, I'm concerned we'll have problems with mice.  So here we have Duke.  At first he was pretty shy.  But once he found out where the food came from, he started to love us.  And he has proven himself to be quite the mouser.


Our chickens have started laying eggs too.  It was pretty exciting.  




I sent Daniel to the store for something and he returned with a bunch of chicks.  Mostly meat birds, and Parker bought 3 Wellsummer chicks.  So now we have a brooder box full of chicks.  


So now, our flock has grown from 4 chickens and a duck to 23 chickens, 2 turkey's, and 1 duck.  It's craziness.  So we ended up building this Taj Mahal of chicken runs for all or birds.  Envision me on top of that chicken run, screwing in the sheet metal, barefoot.  I kept slipping down so I had to take my shoes off.  And I was laying down flat to evenly disperse my weight so I wouldn't fall through the roof.  I'm sure it was a sight to behold.


So it would seem that we've become farmers in just 3 short months.

Little Mikey is glad we did.

No comments: