Sunday, October 29, 2017

Moving. It is the WORST.

Moving is the worst.  The absolute WORST.  It was a nightmare.  Here's what happened. 

The day before signing, the buyers of our house wanted to do a final walk through.  Which we were happy oblige.  So we left, they came and left, we went home.  Then we got a text from the agent.  I asked her how it went, she said they were confused as to why we were still in the house.  She said they thought we would be out of the house by then.  I asked her why they would think that.  She said it was because they were first time home buyers.  I was super annoyed.  Now that I work in the Real Estate business, I know that it is her job as their agent to inform them on how the process works.  It takes 24-48 hours to fund and record, and THAT's when they can take possession.  SO they were expecting us to be out of the house directly after signing the next day.  But we closed on our new house the same day and couldn't move into there till we funded and recorded. 

So we were planning on packing the truck after signing, then having the next day to clean the house from top to bottom before we left officially.  Luckily, I had already scrubbed all the bathrooms so they looked shiny and new.  Daniel off mentioned jokingly that he may leave the trampoline if we had to be out that day.  He didn't want to take it apart.

So we signed papers, and had to go get the truck.  Then I got the call that they didn't have our truck.  It was down in Farmington.  So we had to go down to Farmington to pick up the truck.  Then we had some issues with finding someone to watch the kiddos while we moved.  Finally my amazing cousin's wife Kari offered to take the little boys and my sister Sarah took the older 2.  So then I had to go take the little boys to Brigham City to meet Kari.  Huge shout out to her.  A lifesaver.  For reals. 

After that, we had to bust our butts to get the truck packed and the house emptied in the next 6 hours so the new owners could move in.  Apparently, they had scheduled someone to come in and clean before they moved in.  So we seriously worked out tails off, but no one was free to come help till after work got out around 6 pm.  Luckily, our brother in law came up that day and helped us all day.  But still, we hadn't made a dent.  Finally 6 rolled around and we had some help.  

To my dismay, all my cleaning supplies were tossed into the truck, never to be seen again till at the new house.  Finally at 9 pm, we had everything in the truck.  I swept all the floors, but my vaccum and other cleaning supplies were gone.  I cleaned as much as I could considering I had NO time.  Daniel left some scrap wood in the garage because we literally had no room in the truck or van or anywhere else to put it.  I texted the agent and told her there was stuff we didn't have room for and couldn't unload to make room yet, so we would be back after we could unload our trailer to pick up the stuff and trash we couldn't take care of. 

The truck was packed.  Now what?  We had no where to go.  So Sheri put us up in a hotel room.  I told her we were out and got everything including the trampoline.  She said oooohhhh.  Apparently she thought we said we were for sure leaving the trampoline and had told the buyers that it was theirs.  Now, she told them we had taken it.  We heard back, and apparently they were LIVID.  They demanded we wither bring it back or give them $300 to buy a new one.  At that point, I had HAD it.  I was seeing RED.  I told her to tell them to take me to small claims court.  I wasn't bringing it back.  I was exhausted and woke up feeling bad about causing Sheri more headache.  So I told her I'd bring the trampoline back that day. Then we heard that they were furious about the state of the house.  I told Sheri I didn't care.  They wanted us out, we busted our butts to get out on their time frame and then they were mad.  I was furious.  Not only that, we couldn't move into our house yet!!

While we were waiting to fund, we headed to Costco to get our kids a new trampoline and a pool.  That's how we talked Parker into moving.  He didn't want to move, so we told him we'd get a pool, and he agreed.  Finally we funded on the new house and started unloading.  Our new ward is amazing and had lots of people come over and help.  It went fairly fast with all the help.  Someone even brought us delicious homemade bread and jam. 

Finally, we got everything out of the trucks.  Then a few days later we went back to the old house to get the stuff we couldn't fit.  When we got there, we found that the new owners had thrown a ton of trash on the pile of stuff we couldn't fit in the trucks.  They had even ripped out the built in shelving in the garage and threw it on the pile.  We grabbed everything we had left, and dropped the trampoline.  There was no way I was putting it back together for them.  I was mad.  We also left the shelving from the garage.  That wasn't our mess.  It was rough guys.  Rough. 


Since then, I have made a vow to NEVER move again.  Unless, it's out of the state of Utah.  I'd still move home in a heartbeat.  

No comments: